1.26.2012

Diamond in the Rough: Kate Szabone

David Yurman, Harry Winston, Tiffany & Co., the list goes on... I'm not the only one who has seen the ads for such designer jewelry. Every girl who gets the little box colored in "Tiffany blue" is giddy with excitement.  Designer jewelry is excellent, but recently I've had my sights on a different kind of designer. 


One day I stumbled upon a unique collection of jewelry and had to find out who made it. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Sifting through her Etsy site, I was introduced to a new type of stone called moissanite, which looks like diamond but is more brilliant. Kate Szabone (pictured left), happened to be the designer of this beautiful collection. Although she is "largely self taught," she has acquired knowledge of jewelry making through connections she has made with other jewelers and courses at Haliburton School of Arts. Szabone sells her creations on Etsy.


Her work is largely composed of sterling silver and solid gold. She is not only a jeweler, but a craftsman. 


Pictured below are some of my favourite Kate Szabone pieces. 







Sources: http://www.etsy.com/people/kateszabone
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kateszabone

No comments:

Post a Comment